hannahreadsbooks

Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

Finale (Hush, Hush Saga)

Finale - Becca Fitzpatrick I have to admit, going into Finale I was quite wary. Mainly because while reading the Hush, Hush series, I’d experienced a lot of highs and lows. Hush, Hush didn’t wow me, but it caught my attention enough. Crescendo left me wanting more, but in a bad way. It was disappointing, to say the least. Silence, however, restored my faith in the series. This was what I had wanted all along. Action. Romance. Drama. Silence had it all. So for this series to end on a bang, a high note, Finale needed to bring it.In my opinion, the Hush, Hush series entered Twilight territory in publishing a fourth book. For me, most series, including this one, could easily be wrapped up in three, but tend to have a fourth because there’s more cha-ching out of it. Like Twilight, Hush, Hush drew an international fangirling following, which will now rival the former after news of a movie hitting our screens sometime soon. Now, I’m not really one to compare books, but these two, despite the different type of supernatural in them, could really be said as the forerunners (except for Harry Potter, because HP is the bomb diggity) for the paranormal onslaught that the YA world would soon be subjected to (in both good and bad ways, of course!)Finale, for me, was just the ends to a series that I had to finish because I can’t stand to not finish a series. There wasn’t the same connection in Finale that I felt in the other three books, even Crescendo. I thought Nora’s growth in the last three books took a back seat, and she became the same whiny person she was in Hush, Hush. Even Patch, the man himself, didn’t do it for me. Is there something about an unplanned fourth book that just takes everything away from the previous three?All in all, Finale was just that. The final book in a series aimed at teens. I think the problem is that these days, more and more adults are reading YA and are expecting the books to be somewhat of the same calibre as adult novels. Which, of course, they aren’t. Most young adult books, Hush, Hush included, are aimed at teens. While there are some themes suited at older readers, if I worked in a bookstore, this series would be one I’d recommend for teenage girls looking for something - dare I say it - Twilight-esque to read.