hannahreadsbooks

Stitch
Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)

Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains) - Laurie Boyle Crompton Usually I don't read books that I have no idea about. I'm definitely one of these people who read a synopsis first and then use that to judge whether or not I'll read a book. But Blaze caught me completely unaware - really, I'm still wondering how it even ended up on my Kindle app. Even still, I find that reading a book I have no idea about generally lessens how much I enjoy the said book. Weird, right? Surely not knowing anything about a book should give me more of a unbiased opinion of it, but alas, my weirdness doesn't work this way. Except for this one time, however, when I read Blaze.Blaze really surprised me, in more ways than one. For starters, this starts off as a light read with a fantastically quirky narrator, that then takes a sudden twist into an 'okay, let's be serious,' mood. It was a good kind of surprise, don't get me wrong. The way the story is written was just perfectly done, because I really felt as if I was a part of the character, in their head. And I love that about books.Blaze, essentially, is about a girl learning how making choices - especially the wrong ones - end up with certain consequences, and how to deal and cope with them. And of course, it's the one that teens deal with every day in our world down - Slut-shaming. But more on that later.Blaze was a completely lovable character. I really enjoyed her quirky sense of humour and how her love for comic books came through in the novel:I've built up some super-strong peripheral eye muscles over the course of the season, but with my sunglasses on I can be extra bold with my X-ray visualization. The best thing was though, Blaze wasn't perfect. God, she had so many flaws that you kind of wanted to slap her silly sometimes, but that's what I liked about her. Sure, she gave away something important friviously, but how many people can say that they've not done that? We all make mistakes - Blaze's was being too trusting and giving up her virginity to the first guy that showed a 'real' interest in her. The only problem is - and one of the reasons that this wouldn't be a five star novel - is that despite all that, Blaze doesn't recognize her flaws. She does, however, understand when she's gone that step too far.Something else that I loved was the connection that Blaze has with her brother and his band of soccer friends (the Might Cretins, in Blaze's comic book mind). Pretty much raising her brother on her own thanks to her divorced parents, the relationship between Blaze and Josh is one that I adored. As much as Blaze moans about having no life because she's too busy playing Soccer Mom, it's a life she secretly enjoys. And at the end of the book, you really get to see how much she appreciates each of the boys in her life.Plus her brother Josh, God, I really wish that all boys would grow up with Josh's mindset, because he's the type of boy that you want your daughter dating. He's got it all figured out:"What I don't get is, why is it okay for models to show everything they've got?" He gestures to a towering billboard that features an underwear model with swirling hair. "But when a regular girl does the same thing, she's suddenly accused of being a slut. Seems unfair, don't you think?"YES! THIS! COMPLETELY! This is what the attitudes of guys should be like! Teach them while they are young!Now on to the serious side of this review. Yes, just like the book, there's a light and a serious side.Like I mentioned earlier, Blaze does deal with the consequences of a bad decision and slut shaming, something I think is so incredibly rife in our culture at the moment, it makes me feel sick just thinking about it. It makes me relieved to know that I grew up without the culture that teens are thrown into now. While there were certain aspects of this reality that I felt were dealt with really well in Blaze, at the same time the ending was so ambiguous that the message the author was trying to put across didn't really come out at all. I loved that Blaze (unlike so many New Adult books who also deal with slut shaming) actually took control of herself and didn't let what people were saying physically beat her down (much). Even though inside, she was emotionally hurting, Blaze was strong enough to pull herself together (most of the time). And I loved that. I loved reading a character who for once, wasn't a pansy, or depended on a guy to get out of her emotional state. That being said, I found myself extremely annoyed with Blaze's 'friend' Amanda a lot. Amanda's the one that takes the incriminating photo and sends it to Blaze's crush that creates the scandal in the first place. And the thing is, she's not sympathetic at all. And Blaze lets her get away with it. Not once does Amanda ever really apologize for her actions either, and Blaze keeps her around. Nah ah. Not on. Overall, Blaze was an extremely fun and quirky book to read, despite some obvious flaws, and I found myself chuckling out loud and not wanting to stop reading. Definitely pick up if you are wanting something a little bit different from the normal contemporary haze!