hannahreadsbooks

Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones - Laura   Howard Let's just get this over with: that has to be one of the most beautiful covers I've ever seen. It's definitely my favourite cover so far this year, and as a reader, we get to see a lot of covers! Major cover lust happening right now.Fangirling about the cover aside, The Forgotten Ones is a beautiful New Adult novel that really took my breath away. Once again, it's something other than a contemporary NA novel that has torn my heart. Again. I think really all these authors secretly are doing us in, dear readers. Maybe they sit there and plot together on how to steal our hearts away. I know mine had been shattered a dozen times, and TFO was one of them. What I loved about this novel was that Laura was able to weave the magical element of the novel into the plot in such a subtle way, that you actually believe you are inside Allison's head. I love it when I feel like I am the character - there is so much more emotion invested. When I'm discovering what the MC is discovering for the first time. All those actions - the suspense, the heartaches, the excitement. It makes it feel all the more real. And all the descriptions - oh man, it was pure magical! I highly recommend listening to Sancturary from the Snow White and the Huntsman soundtrack when reading Allison going into the fairy world for the first time. I did feel at times the romance side of things were a bit under-developed in the middle of the book, where there was more of a concentration on fleshing out the story and the world of the Tuatha de Danaan. I think I was just smitten with Ethan from the get go, and all I wanted was to read more and more about him. And I love the Irish folklore that has been used. Laura was able to tell their story in such a way that it didn't feel like you were getting dumped with huge amounts of information. I was able to follow along with the story line all the way through; no confusing parts. Which is a biggie!Allison was such a beautiful character. There was this raw intensity about her that really shone through in the novel. Her love for her family and friends was blinding. While she was strong willed, she was also passionate and she loves fiercely. And the relationship she has with Ethan was one that I swooned over so much. Another one of Laura's talents shone out here - she was able to create a romance where you didn't think the MC was moping or being dramatic at all.My only really main problem with this novel? It ended. The way it ended. God, my soul was crushed so, so bad I was a mess. I think I spent a good ten minutes trying to figure out why my Kindle app wasn't letting me turn to the next page. This was, as already said, an amazing novel. Beautiful crafted, where Laura wins here is that she has a natural talent for creating a truly beautiful story that you'll wish never ends. Until, of course, it does end. But that just means we get more coming soon, right? Right?