hannahreadsbooks

Stitch
Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

The Crimson Hunt (Eldaen Light Chronicles, #1)

The Crimson Hunt (Eldaen Light Chronicles, #1) - Victoria H. Smith Is it just me, or does New Adult seem to be all about the contemporary? Don't get me wrong, I love a good contemporary, whether it's Young Adult or New Adult, but sometimes, you get a bit overwhelmed, especially with NA, and the rate that the genre is increasing each week is a testiment to this. However, I cannot lie. Give me something sci-fi-esque or dystopian and I'll lap it right up (if it's done right, of course. While I'm not that big of a scifi girl, I can appreciate it, and let me tell you, if there are more NA books out there like Victoria's, the please I am begging you take me to them so I can devour them.The Crimson Hunt was a fresh and exciting New Adult read that I've been looking forward to for some time, and it did what it set out to do - impress me. Right from the get go, Smith managed to create two worlds and collide them together with such a big bang that I was whirling my way through a whole set of emotions by the time the ending came along. So what worked, aside from the fact that it's scifi New Adult, something that isn't seen as much as it's hotter contemporary cousin?One thing I loved was that our MCs were generally older in terms of the age bracket set out for NA. Ariel was a sassy female lead who wasn't a freshman, which meant she was more of a woman of the world type. None of this moaning, whinging and bitching that you generally find with freshman MCs in New Adult books. Everything happened fairly quickly in the book. We aren't left bored with what's going on, and best of all, there's no repetitiveness. One thing that really grates me is when the plot revolves around the characters going yes, no, maybe, yes, no, maybe over and over again until your head wants to explode.Luca and his car. Okay, so maybe I have more of an infatuation with Luca's car more than him, but he was still swoon worthy. And this book isn't all about the sex, baby. It's about human emotions and falling in love with the right person at the wrong time and sexy aliens. Oh, did I mention the car? A Tesla Model S. I think I was swooning all over the place.Overall, this is a beginning of a series that I cannot wait to continue. There were so many unanswered questions that I'm left feeling a little bit bereft, if anything. But in a good way. If you are looking for something different, something a little sassier with a dash of sauciness, and an out of this world plot that will have you on the edge of your chair (bed, train seat, whereever you read), then pick this baby up. It'll definitely keep you enthralled!