hannahreadsbooks

Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

Partials

Partials - Dystopian fiction, I’ve come to learn, has many faces. Partials has been on my must read list for a while now, and when I saw it in Waterstones, I just had to grab my copy. In all honesty, the first couple of pages didn’t pull me straight in. It took me a while to get into the book, and I felt myself putting it down and picking it back up again. To be fair, I was choked up on cough medicine the whole entire time I was reading it, so I don’t know whether or not that made a difference. However I soon found myself completely engrossed in this story, and every time I had to put it down, I was itching to pick it back up again!The plot behind Partials seems, at first, just like any other dystopian. Kira is a medic in a new society that has formed on Long Island, after an attack from genetically engineered humans – known as Partials – wiped out most of the human race. As far as East Meadow knows, they are the only humans left on the planet. Yet society is dying, thanks to a virus that the Partials spread. While the people on Long Island are immune, their children are not, meaning no babies have been born for at least eleven years. When Kira’s best friend falls pregnant, Kira realises that something needs to be done about finding a cure, and embarks on a journey that will put her – and the people she loves – to the ultimate test.What really grabbed me about this story is that it isn’t the conventional dystopian love story. Yes, this is written by a guy, and the book is sorely lacking in the romance department (my only real qualm about it, and that’s only personal preference), but that’s not the author’s fault. There’s more of a concentration and focus on power and democracy in a newly formed community, and what power does to people and a society in trouble. The heavy topic of artificial life as well, plays a big part, obviously, with a twist at the end of the novel that leaves you seriously wishing the next book was out already.The characters in the book were all amazing as well. Kira, our main character, was someone I grew to respect quite a lot in the book. She’s grown up in this brave new world where children are dying as soon as they are being born, and she’s sick of seeing this happen – especially when her best friend falls pregnant. Kira knows time for her society is running out, and takes matters in to her own hands. While this seems gung-ho and all, the logic behind Kira’s thinking is amazing. Instead of just blasting her way through the unknown, she takes time thinking about what she is doing, and waits until she has a solid reason behind her before she acts. Kira was definitely one of the strong females I’ve been waiting for in YA literature, and I can’t wait to see how she grows in the next books.All the other characters were fantastic as well, from the right down crazy Partial doctors to the Senators in charge. I especially loved Samm, the Partial that Kira befriends, as you get a more rounded view on what actually happened during the Break. And to be honest, there’s got to be a romance in there somewhere between the two of them. I was just itching for it to happen, and it never did, and I think that is what has left me hanging the most!Overall, this was a very exciting read. Every little detail was amazing. From the events of the Break to what life is like on Long Island and the way society had been reformed, everything about this book was utterly brilliant. There was action the whole entire way through, and after getting through my initial hesitance at the start, Partials turned into a thrilling read, and I can’t wait to read the next book!