hannahreadsbooks

Stitch
Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis
When We Wake - Karen Healey Teeg Oggletti can already see the effects of global warming on the world around her. The year is 2027, and the oceans are rising, the heat becoming more unbearable. But nothing prepares Teeg for what she's about to face in the future. What makes this novel worth reading is the interesting way that Healey has created a futuristicAustralia that is scarily real. This is one book I'd like to see on lower high school reading lists, as it challenges the perceptions of today's Australia in so many ways. Issues such as ethnicity, gender, sexuality, religion and aslyum seekers. It's all here, and all that matter is prevelant in Australian society today. While some of my own personal views conflicted with the ideology, there was a lot of food for thought that really makes you sit back and wonder.One of the things that drew my attention away from the novel was probably the use of the slang, and reading other reviews as well I saw that it wasn't just me that had this issue. Naturally, as with any generation, we adapt to a different slang as teenagers and kids. That's what these teens have done. Which makes me the uncool 'Mum' using words like totes and duh. Not cool. Funnily enough, I've been listening to a series of lectures on young adult literature, and generational language was one such topic. Made me wonder if Healey had listened to the same thing!Personally the characters fell short in the novel. I found myself wistfully thinking more about the people that Tegan left behind - Dalawar, her mother etc. No-one really jumped out at me as someone special. For me, this novel was more about the topic rather than the characterisation. The what if scenario that Teeg presents to us through her story telling - via a Youtube like channel, of course. I loved the little things, like that the refugee camps had names of old Australian Prime Ministers and Opposition Leaders (Howard & Beazley!) and that Camilla was Queen in 2027...I don't know if it was because I wasn't focusing properly, but When We Wake didn't give me the thrills I thought it would. In saying that, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel once it picked up, there was action, romance and a interesting plot line that seemed to keep developing. I don't know if this is a stand alone novel, but I hope it's not. So many questions were left unanswered, and I'd love to read more of Teeg's journey.