hannahreadsbooks

Stitch
Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis
Scarlet - A.C. Gaughen I’ve got so many must reads this year, and I owe pretty much half of them to the YAmazing Race that I took part in at the start of the year. Without the YAmazing Race, I would have never discovered some great books and their even greater authors.Scarlet was my first find on the race, and I fell in love with it instantly. And you know what they say, you never forget your first love! I love Robin Hood and all the legends surrounding him, which is what you get for having a mother who comes from Nottingham. And a certain love for one Richard Armitage who played Guy of Gisbourne in the BBC series.We all know Robin Hood’s story. Robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. But this isn’t about Robin (although he does have a lot of swoon worthy appearances!). Scarlet is a tricky little thief of a boy who can wield a knife better than the rest of them. Thing is, Will isn’t a he, but rather, a she. And only Robin, Little John, Much and a handful of others know. Scarlet’s got her own problems, and then Guy of Gisbourne comes to Nottingham, stirring up trouble for Robin Hood and his Merry Men. And for Scarlet, who’s personal demons have come back to haunt her…but can she trust Robin and her gang with the past?I absolutely ADORED this book. There’s no amount of adoration and praise that I can heap upon it. Scarlet was a light and easy read, full of just enough action, just enough romance but not long enough! I never wanted this story to end, and I seriously hope that a sequel is in the works! There's a twist on the old legend, and I was so captivated by the actual book that it came as a complete surprise to me, and I loved it. What I think I loved the most about this book was AC Gaughen’s use of old English. While the voice of the novel, at times sounded modern, which is something that is going to happen anyway, because you can’t capture language as it used to be, having the written language gave the story a unique touch of its own and set it apart from the rest. Scarlet herself was a gem of a character. She was strong and courageous, but she had her setbacks as well. She’s a girl who seriously does not give herself enough credit for the things she does for the people of Locksley and the surrounding areas, simply because of what has happened in the past. It’s hard to let go, sometimes, and for Scarlet, that is her biggest flaw. But it works in her favour too. Oh and the boys! Hello darlings. Or, hello Robin I should say. The only one who really understands Scarlet, I loved the toumolous relationship these two characters had. It was just what I needed.My only problem is that Guy of Gisbourne has forever been ruined for me because of Richard Armitage. Guy is meant to be the baddie here, but I couldn’t help but swoon every time his name appeared on the page. It took all my self control not to think of Richard looking sexy when I read this!!If you are after a book that entertains you the whole way through, makes you laugh and makes you cry and swoon and your heart thud and all the rest of it, then this is definitely a book for you. Don’t say I’ve warned you, because this is one book you’ll never want to finish!