hannahreadsbooks

Stitch
Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis
The Selection (The Selection, #1) - Kiera Cass This is a world with Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses. A world where royalty rules, and the Princes are just as gorgeous as Prince Harry. Yet we are not inside my imagination (yes, Prince Harry is very much so in my imagination. Did you see him this weekend? Phwoar). We are in the future. Welcome to the world of Illea, a country that has grown from the ashes of its past to rise up once again to be the super power it once was. Where the current King’s son, Prince Maxon, is about to choose his bride. But remember, this is the future. In the past, Kings and Queens sold off their daughters and sons for allegiances - and still do, in this new world - but in Illea, the Prince gets a choice. 35 girls, from all over the country, from a range of castes, whittled down to one girl, who would then become Princess of Illea, wife of Prince Maxon and a future Queen. For America Singer, however, this is not a perfect world. Her love for a boy a caste below hers means that they have to keep their relationship a secret, and soon America finds herself thrust into the spotlight when she becomes part of The Selection, the broadcasted event to find the Prince’s future wife. America doesn’t want to be a part of the Selection, but she soon realises that she doesn’t have a choice, and instead befriends the Prince. But what consequences does this have for America, especially in a country where rebellion grows daily, just like her feelings for Maxon? The Selection was a novel I have been looking forward to reading since I first heard about it, and it certainly didn’t disappoint. Just the way that Cass has created this new country, and the history behind Illea, was enough to captivate me. It was so refreshing to see a dystopian novel taking a new approach to the way society has developed. So many dystopian novels concentrate on a world that has progressed in the future in terms of technology, way of thinking etc. Don’t get me wrong, I love this, but The Selection managed to create a world that I loved. The whole idea of going back to the way things used to be - using caste systems, having a Royal family rule the country - was what I loved most about this book. How other countries had joined together as well - such as Sweden & Norway (Swendway, I think it was called) made me laugh at first, but the more I thought about it, the more logical it sounded. You can’t beat unrequited and forbidden love as well. America and Aspen’s story line made my heart melt, and I really connected with America’s feelings. I loved how she wasn’t opposed to the Selection in terms of rebelling against it, but more because she believes in true love - and how much she loved Aspen. I thought that Maxon as a character could have been a bit more developed - as much as I wanted to connect to him, he didn’t make my heart go all in a tizzie. That was Aspen’s job. Other minor characters, such as the King and Queen, could have been a little it more developed as well, as I felt like we didn’t really know them quite as well as we could have. Overall, The Selection wasn’t a fast paced, full of action dystopian like some of my favourites, but it had it’s own charm. The subtle way that Cass gave us an idea of what the world was like, post invasion and post war made the novel charming in that old fashioned way that I totally lapped up - being a total period drama junkie, this was right up my ally, and I am literally hanging off the edge of my seat waiting for the next book in the series.