hannahreadsbooks

Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

Wither (Chemical Garden)

Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano Wither's been out for a while now, but it's been on my reading list for ages. I've always wanted to read it, but there was just something that was stopping me. The other week I realised what that was. Or more specifically, who.When I was in my last year of school, my English Literature teacher made us read Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale. Not once, not twice, but five times within the semester that we were studying Atwood. You could say she was borderline obsessive with this book. I think she's gone past the point of no return. So basically, it's my English Lit teacher and Margaret Atwood's wacked out mind that's made me not read this book.Wither centres around Rhine, a girl who has been taken off the streets, lured away from the semi-comfort of her home to become a bride to a man she doesn't know. Rhine is one of the lucky ones - being a 'bride' means that she lives in luxury. Although not all is so luxurious about this position she's been given. One of three wives to Landon, a young man still pining over his First Wife, Rhine wants nothing more than to escape the fate that has been thrown upon her.I had mixed feelings after finishing Wither. I think because of the hype surrounding the book, I built it up more than it should have been. In all honesty, not a lot happens in the book action wise, which in dystopian fiction I love so much. Yet Wither, while having a steady pace to it, didn't really seem to be going anywhere.All of that was made up by the fact that there is so much depth within this book that it's deeper than the Marina Trench in the Pacific Ocean. This is one novel that was very well thought out, and there is so much detail in this book. The world deStefano has created is absolutely amazing and so realistic that you can see it actually happening. Which is a scary thought. Wither deals with the subject of polygamy. The result of a virus which means that people are dying in their twenties, the government has turned a blind eye - or just plainly encouraging - to the kidnapping of women for procreation reasons. It's not common, in this new America, so many years into the future after a World War, that rich and powerful men take more than one wife. And as demonstrated in this book, one is usually for show, one for the baby making, and one for general satisfaction.Wither is the first in a trilogy, and you can just see already that the next book, Fever, which comes out this month, is going to absolutely kick off big time. Wither is about introducing the world that Rhine lives in, and the people she encounters. And each individual character in this book is so well defined. Rhine's a girl who knows what's right and wrong. She makes her own choices - even when forced into situations she doesn't want to be in. She's strong and you can easily relate to her. Her sister wives are people she can't connect to at first - Cecily, being the youngest and most naive, gets on your nerves throughout the whole novel. What I loved most, however, was the fact that not even the high and mighty - in this case, Landon, the House Governor that Rhine is wed to, knows what is truly going on in the world. I hope as well that we get to see more of Gabriel in the next book, as I really thought he was more of a minor character here, and for a love interest, he didn't really have that spark.Wither is definitely a captivating read, and whilst I found it a bit lagging at times, I didn't want to put it down at all. Lauren deStefano has stepped into new territory here for YA dystopian literature, and she does it with such perfect execution that you almost feel a little freaked out about what the future might hold for us one day. While Wither has been compared to such books as Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale, I would definitely recommend that people read Wither more than the former! I'm very much looking forward to seeing which direction Fever takes. And I'm loving the awesome covers as well - that dress!