hannahreadsbooks

Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

Night Beach

Night Beach - Kirsty Eagar I absolutely love being able to talk about Australian books, like John Marsden’s Tomorrow series, and trust me, I could talk the hind legs off a donkey when it comes to those books! Australian authors, especially YA ones, don’t get enough international attention these days – I like to think of it like all our wonderful actors and musicians – only a few handfuls crack the international market, but there are so many other wonderful people out there who don’t get enough credit for their amazing work.Kirsty Eagar is one of them. This is the first time I’ve read one of her books, but it won’t be the last. I’ve already added her other book, Raw Blue to books I must get when I’m back in Australia. I’ve heard wonderful things about it, and if it’s anything like Night Beach, then it’s definitely getting on my shelf.Night Beach centres on Abbie, a girl in her last year of school who is going through a turmoil of problems at home. Her parents have divorced, her best friend’s in Darwin with her crazy boyfriend, and she can’t stop thinking about Kane, her step-cousin. The only thing keeping Abie sane is the surf. Then Kane comes back from a surf trip, and that’s when the strange stuff begins.I don’t know exactly how to describe Night Beach. In a way, it was like being on an acid trip. A very good acid trip. I’ve read a lot of reviews already on how so many people loved the book - like me - but have no words to be able to describe how they feel about the book except that it was amazing. Like me! Eagar provides an edgy and raw book that’s full of emotions and energy that you are completely sucked in, and then you realise it’s four am in the morning and you’re supposed to be getting up at five-thirty to go to work. Yeah. That actually happened!Eagar has a way of writing that instantly draws you in. All of Abbie’s emotions, her insecurities and doubts - I felt all of them. She’s a troubled girl with family issues that run higher than the hill she lives on, friendship issues that have been ruined by ‘personal relations’, and a never ending crush on a guy that never seems to go away. The way Abbie sees the world, through her art, is what I loved the most. Her self portraits and photographs in the mirror is enough to make your heart break.The only thing that I thought let Night Beach down was Kane’s character. While yes, the brooding surfer boy with issues and gloomy stares is enough to melt your heart into a puddle, I didn’t feel that Kane was around enough in the book to warrant any actual attraction. I only wished that there was a little more interaction between Abbie and Kane, and then I would have been completely hooked. As an Aussie as well, I was able to comfortably slip into the world of beaches and surfers and Australian language. Oh, to read the word doona again and not have someone laugh at me for my strange language! Although I don’t know how other people would interpret the stark Aussie-ness of the book, but it’s just something you work around. There are still lots of American slang words out there I still don’t get the meaning to, or are used in a completely different way. All in all, I would still recommend to a non-Aussie. (And if you don’t the slang, just ask me! I’m used to explaining what certain words mean now!) Night Beach was a thrilling, suspenseful and breath-taking read that hooked me in right from the start. While at times I felt lost in the plot, and unsure of what had actually just happened, Night Beach was such a suspenseful read that I didn’t want to put it down. I’ve found a new genre of YA that I’m starting to really enjoy - the paranormal thriller. This book is definitely going to be sitting next to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer on my bookshelf. If, after reading this review, you still have absolutely no idea what I’m going on about, then go and buy the book. Trust, it’s worth your while!