hannahreadsbooks

Stitch
Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth, #2)

The Truth About Letting Go - Leigh Talbert Moore I think, that no matter what you read, nothing beats reading a good old YA contemporary. I know I started my review for The Truth About Faking in the same sort of manner, but I just can't help it. Leigh T. Moore just makes me want to chat about the fuzzy feels you get from contemporary!I hear a lot of people these days saying how much they've come to love contemporary and it's not just the readers either. If anyone was following what was happening at the Bologna Children' Book Fair recently, then there is a shift back to realistic YA fiction. We may read paranormal, dystopian, new adult, erotica, whatever, like it's going out of fashion, but we always, as readers seem to be coming back to contemporary. Why? Because it's just so darn good. And it comes in so many different variations that you don't get over-run with books that are exactly the same. Each and every YA contemporary that I read has a different message attached. Anyway, let's get back to what's actually going on here. My review. Once again, Leigh has completely blown me away with being able to dish out a wonderful young adult contemporary that just is amazing. TTALG is about accepting and dealing with loss. It's about coming to terms with who you are as a person, not what people expect of you as a person. I have to admit, while I enjoyed TTALG more than I did Leigh's debut novel, The Truth About Faking, I had a slight issue with our main character this round, Ashley. I much preferred Harley (come back to me, old friend!). Ashley's actions, at times, were quite confusing. I didn't like how pushy she was when it came to sex, for one. Or how she had to 'make over' Jordan to make him attractive to everyone else as well as her. It's really hard though, as a reader who has never experienced grief on Ashley's level, to understand why someone would choose to do the things they do. So I guess that, in a way, was what I enjoyed about the book.The only other character to confuse me a bit was Charlotte. I didn't like how her story line with Ashley played out, but it could totally work as a novella or with Charlotte having her own story too (cough, cough, did you read that part Leigh? :D )While the storyline does focus around darker issues, such as grief and relationships, I still found TTALG to be a light read, which was exactly what I was after at the time. Ashley, for all her misgivings, does come around, and I guess that's the true beauty of this book. The fact that Ashley can recognise where she goes wrong in her life is the biggest step a person can make in moving forward, and to have someone such as Jordan behind her makes it even better.Definitely grab this one if you like a bit of issue-drama (is that the right term? I'm not sure) in your contemporary, but note that this is very mature young adult and deals with some pretty heavy issues. Think Saving June by Hannah Harrington, but without the roadtrip.