hannahreadsbooks

Samantha Durante
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

Auracle

Auracle - Gina Rosati I had no idea what to expect when I started Auracle. Which is a good thing, because I've not felt like that with a book for ages. You generally have a fair idea about what you are getting into, but not this time. Auracle was completely new to me. And it was awesome. Gina has such a brilliant talent for getting you sucked straight into a story and you never wanting to leave.Auracle was captivating right from the very beginning. We land straight in Anna's world, and the scene is set when we learn that Anna can astral project out of her body. Getting all the necessary introduction out the way, and the reader is plunged head first into a murder, a disappearing friend and Anna being kicked out of her body by a classmate. Anna's the only witness to the murder, and to clear her friend's name she has to get her body back - one way or another - before something terrible happens.I don't know how many times I can say it, but this book was just full of awesomeness. Anna was a really lovable character. You could really make a connection with her. Her frustrations about not being able to get back inside her body, her blossoming romance with her bestie Rei...everything about Anna was incredibly real, and Gina had such a great way of writing that I actually believed I had astral projected into Anna's life.Rei as well was a really great guy - there's not a lot like him guy wise in YA lit these days. He didn't take any crap, much like Anna, and had real and genuine gutsyness about him. Plus I'm all for authors who have inter-racial relationships in their novels. It shows anyone can fall in love! And the name Rei is awesome.The icing on the cake for me though was Taylor. I don't know if it is just me, but I love bitchy characters in YA. Or maybe I just love to hate them. Done properly, the antagonist female is a character that I totally j'adore, and in Auracle,Taylor is done to a capital B (for bitch, of course!) You just want to hate Taylor with a passion, and get so annoyed with her, that I guess Gina's work is done really!Overall, Auracle is an irresistible read that will stay with you after you've put it down. You'll never want to put it down actually! I was constantly enthralled with everything, and found myself staying up late just to see what the outcome would be, constantly cheering Rei and Anna on. I wish there was a little bit more of Seth in the story, as he seemed like a great character also, but don't let that stop you from getting your hands on this summer gem!